From The Wheeler Report Blog
The Election tables listed below are candidates who have declared candidacy. Please note, the listings are in no particular order,...
As school districts prepare for the 2020-21 school year, some are planning in-person classes, some are planning virtual classes, and...
As child care centers in Wisconsin struggle to stay open, they are looking for guidance on best practices and resources...
Emergency Order #1: Requiring face coverings FAQ
: COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease)
: Outbreaks in Wisconsin (Updated at 2pm daily)
UW System: COVID-19 Dashboard
Friday September 18, 2020 - Updated 7:12pm
- Sen. Kapenga. It's about time!
- Gov. Evers. Asks for resignation of Workforce Development Secretary.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Baldwin, Evers: Funding promised by Trump to help Kenosha can't be used to rebuild.
- Rep. Nygren. DNR's budget request fails to address PFAS contamination.
- Cap Times. State superintendent says DPI budget proposal will include increases in mental health, special education funding. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Wisconsin Grocers Association. Senator Cowles receives "Friend of Grocers" award.
- Joint Audit Co-Chairs Cowles, Kerkman. Audit assess IT needs assesment, procurement, and security.
- LAB. Report 20-12: Master Lease Program. Briefing Sheet. Highlights.
- LAB. Report 20-11: IT needs assessment, procurement, and security (DOA). Briefing Sheet. Highlights.
- LAB. Report 20-10: IT needs assessment, procurement, and security (UW System). Briefing Sheet. Highlights.
- Sen. Marklein. Column: Hunting: An important social distancing activity.
- Wisconsin State Journal. State committee extends suspension of unemployment work search requirements.
- DOJ. Sheboygan County nuse charged with medical assistance fraud while failing to provide care to frail toddler.
- DHS. Wisconsin awarded $16.7 million federal grant to counter addictions to opioids and stimulants.
- PSC. Votes to extend the COVID-19 utility disconnection moratorium to November 1.
- WKBT. Wisconsin PSC extends moratorium on disconnecting utilities to Nov. 1.
- U.S. News & World Report. DNR estimates wolf population up about 13%.
- Business Health Care Group, The Alliance, WMC. New research shows wide hospital price disparities in Wisconsin, high prices.
- CNBC. Metrics show consumers pulling back on spending in September as Congress debates second stimulus.
- USA Today. 'This is going to bankrupt me': Americans rack up $45B worth of medical debt in collections.
- Kenosha News. White House trade advisor says Foxconn project 'will bear great fruit.' Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Bars, restaurants near UW-Madison express mixed feelings about return of big ten football.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Wisconsin added 16,700 private sector jobs in August. Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Fox 6. Milwaukee restaurants, bars adapt to COVID-19 safety changes.
- Sen. Hansen. Statement: The passing of Heidi Hussli.
- Milwaukee Health Department. Phase 4.1 order update.
- Dane County Exec. Parisi. Statement: Passing of Wisconsin teacher due to COVID-19.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Wisconsin breaks record of daily positive cases for third day in less than a week.
- NBC 15. Dane Co. average COVID-19 cases per day nearly doubles since last week.
- AP. CDC drops controversial testing advice that caused backlash.
- Green Bay Press Gazette. Bay Port teacher dies after being hospitalized with COVID-19, Howard-Suamico School District says.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. New coronavirus cases reach all-time high of 2,000 as young people, schools drive surge.
- WISN. COVID-19 cases spike in young adults, experts say they're from college campuses.
- WEAU. The 20-29 age group continues to lead Eau Claire County in COVID-19 cases.
- WXOW. Nursing homes, care facilities seeing an increase in COVID-19 cases.
- The Hill. Controversial CDC guidelines were written by HHS officials, not scientists: reports.
- The Hill. Second GOP senator to quarantine after exposure to coronavirus.
- Fox 6. 'Worse it's ever been:' Wisconsin sees record virus case increase.
- WXPR. Forest County case rate jumps to 1002, nearly double the second highest county case rate.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Decision in Blake case approaches, in a process born of another Kenosha police shooting.
- Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty. Judge ruled DPI violated state law in release of 2019 school choice data.
- WKOW. La Crosse man files suit against governor, city clerk over mask order.
- U.S. News & World Report. U.S. judge blocks postal service changes that slowed mail.
- UW System. Statement on UW-River Falls mitigation steps.
- UW-Platteville. Foundation covers application fees for prospective students.
- WIAC. Fall semester COVID-19 update.
- UW-Madison. 13th among public universities in Wall Street Journal rankings.
- UW-Stevens Point. Wausau internship gives wildlife ecology major insights into black bears.
- UW-Stevens Point. CWES offering weekend family camps this fall.
- WEAU. WIAC suspends all winter sports through December 31st, 2020.
- Baraboo News Republic. Baraboo School District refuses to disclose number of COVID-19 cases.
- WISN. 119 students, 10 teachers in quarantine after exposure to coronavirus.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Edgewood College reports 'spike' in COVID-19 cases, pauses athletics.
- WKOW. Argyle Schools closed on Friday after staff member tested positive for COVID-19.
- WKOW. Markesan School District temporarily closing following 'dramatic rise' in COVID-19 cases.
- WQOW. Health department not recommending UWEC closure.
- RYDE. Transit system to reinstitute paid service starting Monday, September 28th.
- Milwaukee County Exec. Crowley. Applauds Milwaukee County Audit Committee's approval of Jeffery Roman's appointment as Director of the Office on African-American Affairs.
- Milwaukee County Exec. Crowley. Applauds Milwaukee County Health and Human Needs Committee for approving Shakita LaGrant-McClain's appointment as Director of Health and Human Services.
- Portage Daily Register. Heather Gove appointed as county HHS director, Chairman Vern Gove abstains.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Groups contend county could face criminal charges for attempts to regulate large swine farms.
- U.S. Sens. Baldwin, Klobuchar. Urge online platforms to take additional measures to stop voting related misinformation and disinformation.
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin. To DHS IG: Investigate alleged forced hysterectomies at ICE facility.
- U.S. Sens. Baldwin, Rubio. Bipartisan resolution for National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month.
- WISC. Sec. of State Pompeo to speak at Wisconsin State Capitol next week.
- U.S. Rep. Gallagher. Introduces the NERD Act.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. A GOP colleague questions Sen. Ron Johnson's investigation of Joe Biden.
- Zunker for 7th Congress. President Trump and Rep. Tom Tiffany risk Wisconsin lives with campaign visits to Marathon County.
- RPW. Statement welcoming President Trump to Wisconsin.
- AP. Trump heats up culture war in appeal to Wisconsin voters.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. 'A fundraiser of unusual size': Princess Bride reunion raises $4.25 million for Wisconsin Democrats.
- WBAY. Concerns over counting absentee ballots.
- USA Today. Russia 'very active' in 2020 election; antifa not a terror group, FBI director testifies.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Trump announces aid to farmers at Mosinee rally.
- USA Today. Trump seeks to energize rural voters key to 2016 success in Wisconsin campaign rally.
- Cap Times. Wisconsin Democrats' high-profile fundraisers continue Thursday with stars of 'Parks and Rec.'
- WSAW. Congressional candidate Zunker says Trump rally is dangerous due to COVID cases.
Thursday September 17, 2020
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin. And Governor Tony Evers call on President Trump to keep his promise to deliver federal funding for Kenosha to rebuild.
- Sen. Larson. Applauds Superintendent Stanford Taylor's vision for Wisconsin's public schools.
- Rep. Vruwink. Alice in Dairyland to tour Town of Plymouth farms.
- Assembly Democrats. Letter to WI Congressional Delegation regarding Georgia whistleblower complaint.
- DNR. A new method to count wolves, a better fit for Wisconsin.
- WEDC. And PSC to launch new broadband technical assistance pilot.
- AG Kaul. Joins 22-state coalition urging USDA to remove bureaucratic barriers threatening SNAP during pandemic.
- DOJ. UPDATE: Investigation of shooting in Mayville, Wis.
- DMA. One Huey - two intersecting lives.
- DATCP. Increases consumer protection service access to Milwaukee area.
- DMA. Madison-based Black Hawk unit receives Meritorious Unit Commendation for work on recent overseas deployment.
- DNR. Offers robust statewide CWD testing.
- ETF. And DFI awarded $100,000 grant to build employee financial wellness program.
- DOJ. Investigation of shooting in Mayville, Wis.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Milwaukee County defers accepting $15 million for youth detention center renovation.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Wisconsin Elections Commission: 19 reported cases of possible fraud over nearly 2 years.
- Foxconn. "Tops off" 100-foot -high performance computing data center globe.
- Focus on Energy. Fuller's Milker Center butters up energy efficiency and receives honor.
- DWD. BLS data: Wisconsin's unemployment rate falls to 6.2 percent; over 34,000 total non-farm jobs added in August.
- Reuters. U.S. weekly jobless claims stuck at higher levels.
- WISN. Lawmaker critical of Evers' handling of Wisconsin unemployment backlog.
- WSAW. National aluminum shortage hits manufacturers, distributors.
- La Crosse Tribune. State: La Crosse County posts 110 new cases.
- Oshkosh Northwestern. Nearly 1,000 inmates, more than 200 staff in Wisconsin prisons have tested positive for coronavirus.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Wisconsin sets new daily record of 2,034 COVID-19 cases.
- La Crosse Tribune. 122 more cases in La Crosse County -- fastest rise in cases in U.S.
- Oshkosh Northwestern. COVID hospitalizations have spiked in the Fox Valley. Health officials warn if behavior doesn't change, we could be in for a tough fall.
- WISC. Masks will be required in Dane County, even if statewide mandate expires.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Wisconsin COVID-19 cases rise as September spike hits college towns.
- WQOW. Menomonie City Council to consider COVID ordinances.
- Fox 11. With less than two weeks to go, it's unclear of the state mask mandate will be extended.
- Fox 9. COVID-19 in Wisconsin: Cases increase 52% over the last 2 weeks, 4th highest rate in U.S.
- Politico. Trump contradicts his CDC director over masks, vaccine timeline.
- Fox 11. COVID-19 cases among college-aged adults on a rapid rise in Wisconsin.
- Spectrum News. Uptick on COVID-19 cases a point of reflection for community.
- WISC. Over 1.5K more COVID-19 cases confirmed in Wisconsin as 11.5% of new tests come back positive.
- Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. County Administration Committee approves health orders ordinance.
- Eau Claire Leader-Telegram. Wisconsin counties top the nation in fastest-rising cases: NYT.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. (Audio) State Corrections head discusses COVID-19 in prisons.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Study finds more human than animal waste in Southwest Wisconsin wells.
- Security Health Plan. Wisconsin residents may qualify for national emergency Special Enrollment Period.
- Wisconsin Policy Forum. Wisconsin property taxes and values both on the rise in latest data.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. 'A sobering reminder': Wisconsin had 52 victims of domestic violence homicide last year, and experts fear those numbers are growing.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court. St. Ambrose Academy v. Parisi - Petitioners' motion to strike respondents' motion to vacate the temporary injunction and dismiss the actions or in the alternative to stay the injunction.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court. James v. Heinrich, WCRIS v. Heinrich, St. Ambrose Academy v. Parisi - order.
- WKOW. State Supreme Court schedules arguments in Dane County school order case for December.
- Edgewood College. A spike in positive cases.
- UW-Eau Claire. Foundation selling radio station license.
- DPI Supt. Stanford Taylor. Remarks as prepared for delivery for 2020 Virtual State of Education Address.
- UW-Madison. F.H. King group provides students, local community with fresh produce despite pandemic.
- UW-Stout. Graduate caring for trauma patients, pursuing physician assistant license.
- Public Health Madison & Dane County. Statement about decision to hold Badger football games.
- WAOW. Port Edwards Elementary School closed because of COVID-19.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. 'I really didn't feel comfortable going back': Some Wisconsin teachers quit, or retire early, due to COVID-19 concerns.
- USA Today. With COVID-19 complicating enrollment counts, public schools brace for impact on funding.
- CBS 58. Coronavirus cases at 19 schools in Washington and Ozaukee counties.
- NBC 15. Beloit College to test all students weekly for COVID-19.
- WBAY. Dozens of COVID-19 cases confirmed at St. Norbert College, infected students quarantined at area hotel.
- WKBT. Just three days into in-person classes, West Salem transitioning back to virtual learning.
- Chicago Tribune. COVID-19 cases have plummeted at Notre Dame since a two-week campus shutdown. Can that work for other universities struggling to contain the virus's spread?
- WKOW. Vast majority of UW-Madison students who test positive for COVID-19 show symptoms.
- WISN. Elementary school shutdown, ordered to quarantine after three positive cases.
- Milwaukee County Exec. Crowley. Announces Small Business Initiative Grants and Community Resource Navigator Employment Program.
- Spectrum. Announces $60,000 in Spectrum Digital Education Grants to further digital literacy in Milwaukee.
- Baraboo News Republic. Sauk County hires its first county administrator.
- AP. 300 and counting: Push by feds to arrest in U.S. protests.
- U.S. News & World Report. Fire chief: Damage from Kenosha unrest tops $11 million.
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin. Leads bipartisan effort in urging action to address practices of pharmaceutical companies undermining 340B Program.
- U.S. Rep. Tiffany. Introduces bill to scrap "One China Policy," resume normal ties with Taiwan.
- U.S. Reps. Gallagher, Kind. Introduce bill to support family farmers and strengthen Wisconsin dairy.
- WTMJ. U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson quarantines after exposure to person with coronavirus.
- WKBT. Wisconsin Reps. Kind, Gallagher propose dairy pricing, policy commission to address woes.
- Politico. Senate Republicans shrug off Trump's call for larger Covid-19 relief measure.
- The Hill. GOP senator blocks Schumer resolution aimed at Biden probe as tensions run high.
- Protect Our Care. Senator Tammy Baldwin, AG Josh Kaul, Sec. Kathleen Sebelius, and Wisconsinites highlight what's at stake for health care in 2020 election.
- League of Women Voters of Wisconsin. Publishes bilingual voter guide for general election.
- National Association of Home Builders. Endorses Rep. Glenn Grothman for Congress.
- Winker for 38th Assembly. Will debate Rep. Barb Dittrich in public forum hoste by city high school student group on Wed Sept. 23; program to be livestreamed and taped.
- Fond du Lac County Democratic and Republican Parties. Joint statement condemning the vandalism, theft and destruction of yard signs.
- Anderson for 47th Assembly. Father and son candidates for Wisconsin State Assembly.
- WEAU. Vice President Pence to visit Eau Claire.
- Politico. 'He helped the Trump campaign' Wisconsin's Democratic governor under fire.
- WJFW. Investigates: Assembly candidate addresses mileage reimbursement double-dipping.
- WTMJ. Wisconsin election officers: 'Do not try to vote twice.'
- La Crosse Tribune. District 3: Van Orden spotlighted by national GOP group in race against Kind.
- WXPR. Rhinelander installs ballot drop box for November election.
- U.S. News & World Report. Election officials refuse to allow deputies in nursing homes.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Wisconsin Assembly battle could hinge on suburban districts.
- U.S. News & World Report. Vos: Veto-proof GOP majority probably unattainable.