From The Wheeler Report Blog
This week Gwyn meets with Jerry Deschane, Executive Director of the League of Wisconsin Municipalities, and Mark O’Connell, Executive Director...
The elections are over and it’s time to start preparing for the remainder of this legislative session and the beginning...
Friday November 16, 2018 - Updated 4:42pm
- Gov.-elect Evers. And Lt. Gov.-elect Mandela Barnes announce senior advisor, deputy transition director, Personnel Advisory Council.
- Gov.-elect Evers. Attending National Governors Association meeting.
- One Wisconsin Now. GOP blames voters voting for electoral defeats, proposes plan to limit participation in 2020 state high court race.
- Rep. Bowen. Walker offers definition of decency, violates it one day later.
- U.S. News & World Report. Evers taking different approach to transition than Walker.
- Wausau Daily Herald. Scott Walker, lawmakers consider helping conservative justice before Tony Evers becomes governor.
- WAOW. Vos meets with Walker about limiting Evers' power.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Scott Walker on election loss: 'In no way did I see it as a rejection;' may change 2020 presidential primary date. Cap Times.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Walker: 'I may have reformed myself out of a job.' Stevens Point Journal. WKOW.
- U.S. News & World Report. Wisconsin's Walker open to limiting replacement's power.
- WXOW. Gov. Walker: 'Wisconsin is not going to go backwards.'
- NBC 15. Gov. Walker stresses successes in first press conference since election defeat.
- Chicago Tribune. Wisconsin governor: Students giving Nazi salute in viral photo are 'idiots.' WISC.
- Sen. LeMahieu. Appointed to the Joint Committee on Finance.
- Sen. Fitzgerald. Announces Joint Finance Committee members for 2019-2020 session.
- Rep. Murphy. Letter to UW System President Cross regarding UW-La Crosse Chancellor Gow.
- LAB: Report 18-16: UW-Extension Student Financial Aid Attestation. Briefing Sheet.
- WKBT. Senator Shilling reappoints two to Joint Finance Committee.
- Fox 6. Lawmaker mulls bill to eliminate 'invitation to corruption' for Wisconsin state legislature.
- DHS. State health agency urges safety when processing, cooking, and eating wild game.
- First Lady Walker. Florists from across Wisconsin decorate the Wisconsin Executive Residence for the 2018 Holiday Season.
- DWD. Wisconsin ranks 2nd nationally in manufacturing job gains over year.
- DMA. ReadyWisconsin wants you to have a safe Thanksgiving.
- WJFW. DNR teams up with hunters in an attempt to stop deadly disease in deer.
- Fox 11. Drop in Wisconsin deer licenses raises funding concerns.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Wisconsin ranks 42nd in job growth over last 12 months.
- Reuters. Trump says U.S. may not impose more tariffs on China.
- Reuters. Exclusive: China offer unlikely to spur major trade breakthrough - senior U.S. official.
- Washington Post. Wisconsin offered Foxconn more than Virginia and New York did for Amazon.
- Politico. What are the risks of the Amazon deal? Ask Scott Walker.
- Wisconsin Bankers Association Foundation. Honors bankers for financial education achievements.
- USA Today. Alcohol is killing more people, and younger. The heaviest increases are among women.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court. State v. Johnny K. Pinder.
- Rape Crisis Center. Stands in opposition to Secretary DeVos' planned changes to Title IX.
- DPI. Hearing set Dec 6. on scope statement for military spouse licensing.
- DPI. Hearing set Dec. 3 on rules for Early College Credit program.
- DPI. Hearing scheduled Nov. 29 on scope statement related to disproportionality in special education.
- UW System. Statement regarding Title IX announcement.
- USA Today. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos proposes controversial changes to campus sexual misconduct rules, narrowing definition of sexual harassment.
- Milwaukee Ald. Johnson. FDA crackdown on flavored tobacco products can turn the tide.
- Milwaukee Ald. Rainey. Council approves key budget item to encourage entrepreneurship to address food deserts.
- Milwaukee Ald. Murphy. FDA tightening on flavored tobacco products and e-cigarettes is correct move.
- Milwaukee Ald. Rainey. Invites residents to apply for Census jobs.
- U.S. Sen. Baldwin. Legislation designating the Vel R. Phillips Post Office building in Milwaukee passes the Senate.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Rep. Mike Gallagher: Congress is broken.
- The Hill. House votes to remove protections for gray wolves.
- Republican Party of Milwaukee County. Meet the Chair.
- NBC 15. Democrat Kaul leads Attorney General Schimel by 17,190 votes.
- Sheboygan Press. Timing, Trump and turning down the volume: How low-key Tony Evers defeated Scott Walker.
Thursday November 15, 2018
- Gov.-elect Evers. And Lt. Gov.-elect Mandela Barnes announce transition website, communications director.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Evers low-key on GOP efforts to limit his power.
- Chippewa Herald. Tony Evers declines to draw red line on Legislature limiting executive power.
- WSAW. Governor-elect meets with students to discuss careers in construction. WAOW.
- WKOW. Gov.-elect "confident" to increase education budget by 10% despite GOP doubts.
- Reuters. U.S. state spending exceeds $2 trillion in fiscal 2018: report.
- Rep. Hintz. Statement on Republican plan to change election dates.
- Rep. Hesselbein. Democratis Weekly Radio Address: Veterans Day.
- Sen. Shilling. Appoints Erpenbach, Johnson to serve on Joint Finance Committee.
- Sen. Vinehout. Column: Citizens vote to raise property taxes to pay for schools.
- Fox 6. 'This is an invitation to corruption:' Wisconsin state lawmakers exempt themselves from open records rules.
- Wisconsin State Journal. Immigrant rights groups press for Wisconsin driver's licenses for 32,000 residents.
- Beloit Daily News. Can they find way to work together?
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Kimberly-Clark Corp. workers, local officials urge lawmakers to approve state incentives.
- WBAY. Fate of Kimberly-Clark bill up in air after special hearing.
- WISC. 'This is not Foxconn': Supporters fight for Kimberly-Clark $100M deal, other lawmakers oppose plan.
- Cap Times. Kimberly-Clark says it would invest $500 million in Wisconsin with incentive package, but bill still lacks votes.
- Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter. GOP lawmakers hold hearing on $70 million deal for Kimberly-Clark but are short of votes.
- Governing. Sore losers or necessary checks? Wisconsin Republicans seek to limit new Democratic governor's authority.
- DOC. Inmate apprenticeships provide valuable skills after release.
- DATCP. Confirms CWD-positive deer in Portage County.
- DNR. Outdoor Report.
- DWD. Announces Wisconsin Fast Forward Jump Start program.
- DHS. Mental health grant awards to asist youth in need.
- DWD. BLS data: Wisconsin unemployment rate remains at or below 3 percent for record 9th straight month.
- ETF. Group Insurance Board approves contract extensions, maintains continuity.
- WXOW. State tourism hopes families are in giving spirit.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Wisconsin's economic growth among nation's slowest in Q2.
- Milwaukee Biz Times. Komatsu can earn tax credits on jobs added since April 2017.
- Wisconsin Dental Association. Recognizes 17 for contributions to dentistry, public oral health.
- Wisconsin Office of Rural Health. Four Wisconsin communities presented with rural health awards.
- Wisconsin Public Radio. Former Gov. Tommy Thompson talks recent election results, state's future. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- WDIO. Postal Service in red ink for 12th year as letter mail drops.
- UW-Stout. Technology education students design, build robots for friendly competition.
- Marquette University. Marquette professors receive $525,000 grant to research a new 'green' catalyst.
- Tommy G. Thompson Center on Public Leadership. Announces free leadership conference.
- Evidence-Based Health Policy Project. To host Capitol briefing on suicide prevention among youth and young adults.
- Marquette Univerity. Receives $597,000 from federal government to support financial and educational needs of doctoral students in electrical engineering.
- UW-Madison. After 20 years, stem cells mean business in Wisconsin.
- UW-River Falls. Holiday choral concert presented.
- Washington Post. Armored school doors, bulletproof whiteboards and secret snipers.
- Clean Wisconsin. Applauds Lafayette County Board members who stood up for clean water.
- Waukesha County Exec. Farrow. Waukesha County Parks announces new annual sticker price for disabled veterans and former prisoners of war.
- Milwaukee Ald. Bauman. Amendments pass to repair roads and tackle neighborhood blight.
- Madison Mayor Soglin. Statement on recently passed Dane County budget.
- Milwaukee Ald. Donovan. Thank you, Mike Crivello, for your dedicated service to Milwaukee.
- Washington Post. Veterans aren't getting their GI Bill payments - becaue VA's 50-year-old computer system broke.
- The Hill. Trump throws support behind criminal justice bill.
- The Hill. Defense strategy report warns of grave erosion in U.S. military superiority.
- U.S. News & World Report. Senate OKs Coast Guard bill with ballast water compromise.